Triple Talaq Bill In Parliament Today: Know What It States
The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill 2017 is expected was tabled in the Parliament today by Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad. This bill seeks to criminalise the practice of triple talaq. Have a look at some of the key aspects of the draft bill:
• The Triple Talaq draft bill says, “Any pronouncement of talaq by a person upon his wife, by words, either spoken or written or in electronic form or in any other manner whatsoever, shall be void and illegal”.
•Anyone who violates this law, they will have to face imprisonment of one year which may extend to three years with including fine.
• Muslim women who will be divorced with such procedure, will be entitled for maintenance as stated by the draft bill.
• It gives the right to the divorcee Muslim women to have the custody of their minor children. The offences under the purview of this bill will be cognisable and non-bail able.
• Earlier this year, the Supreme Court gave a historic judgement and ruled that the practice of talaq-e-biddat (three pronouncements of talaq, at one and the same time) practiced by certain Muslim husbands to divorce their wives is “illegal”“void” and “unconstitutional”.
• The Central government said that everyone should see the bill from the perspective of women’s right rather than religion.
• The AIMPLB accused BJP governmentsaying that they hasn’t followed the laid procedure of drafting this bill, which it further said was against women and children. They also added that if the bill would be implemented, it would destroy many families.